1950 Armistice Agreement Gaza

Between February and July 1949, general ceasefire agreements (GAAs) were signed between the State of Israel and four Arab states: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. Iraq, which had participated in the war with an expeditionary force, did not reach an agreement since it had no common border with Israel; His troops were leaving the arena. All negotiations were negotiated on behalf of the United Nations (UN) by Ralph Bunche, whose performance won him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1949. These agreements ended the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. The inability of the UN Mediation Commission for Palestine to conclude broader peace agreements has led de facto to a situation that has made general ceasefire agreements quasi-permanent agreements governing relations between Israel and its Arab neighbours until the 1967 war. The first GAA was signed on 24 February 1949 by Colonel Mohammad Ibrahim Sayf el-Din for Egypt and Walter Eytan for Israel on the Greek island of Rhodes. It provided, among other things, for large demilitarized zones in the Nitzana-AbuAgayla sector. On the other hand, the rights of Israeli navigation through the Suez Canal and the Tiran Strait have not been defined. Israel considered that the closure of these waterways was incompatible with international law and ceasefire rules and repeatedly drew the attention of the UN Security Council to the blockade of Suez.

But neither the support, which was obtained in the form of UN Security Council Resolution 95 (1951), nor the military achievements of the 1956 Sinai campaign were successful in changing Egypt`s mind, and the blockade in the canal lasted thirty years. LETTER DATED 12 FEBRUARY 1950 FROM THE CHIEF OF STAFF In general, it can be said that the work in the four joint ceasefire commissions has so far been reasonably successful. It is recalled that, on 24 February 1950, the general ceasefire agreement between Egypt and Israel will be in force for a period of one year. The second point – the return of the civilian population to the region – has been the scene of much controversy. As part of the general ceasefire agreement, the chairman of the Joint Ceasefire Committee could only be defined in such a way as to allow the return of Arab and Israeli civilians in numbers corresponding to the number of Arab and Israeli civilians before the end of the British mandate. Under this principle, the President allowed Arab and Israeli civilians to return to the area from 8 September to resume their civilian lives. At the end of January 1950, the number of Israelis returned to the territory under this stop, roughly the number of Israelis who had stayed there at the end of the compulsory regime. The Israel-Lebanon GAA was signed on 23 March 1949 by Lieutenant-Colonel Mordekhai Makleff for Israel and Lieutenant-Colonel Tawfiq Salim for Lebanon in Raes Naqura. The Israeli troops, who had withdrawn from parts of southern Lebanon they occupied in the summer of 1948, agreed to set the limits of the marking of the armistice along the former international borders, thus introducing greater stability in Israeli-Lebanese relations for more than twenty years.